Friday, December 6, 2013

Some early observations about the WC groups

The draw was the usual shitshow. As US coach Klinsmann said: "they could have just e-mailed us our opponents and that would be fine." Ha! I agree. Also, who the hell let Fernanda Lima on the stage?! Now finally we can talk about real football.

----

The hosts have been relatively lucky, though there are no dead weights in this group. Perhaps more importantly, Croatia, Mexico, and Cameroon are all at more or less the same level, and in few groups will the second spot be so hotly contested. Also, Brazil should beware of racking up three lopsided wins and become overconfident going into the R16, when the real World Cup begins. My projection: BRAZIL and CAMEROON.


The first Group of Death, for Australia anyway: they Kangaroos are practically out, while Spain, Netherlands, and Chile will battle it out. This group has both finalists from the latest edition (Spain and Netherlands). This also happened in 2010, when Italy and France were in the same group -- and both went out in the group stage. I don't see that happening to Spain, but given the recent Oranje mishaps I think that Chile have a leg up. This will be a lot of fun to watch. My projection: SPAIN and CHILE.

One of two easiest groups, though this one too will be interesting due to the four teams being roughly even. I give a slight edge to Colombia and Ivory Coast, but Japan's fizz and Greece's bus-parking abilities ought not to be underestimated. My projection: COLOMBIA and IVORY COAST.



The second Group of Death and the only one with three previous World Cup winners! There is much footballing history here, for if England is the "mother" of football, Uruguay is surely the "father," and Uruguayans are basically Italian expatriates. These three have also met recently in major tourneys (Euro 2012 and Confeds 2013): Italy have always prevailed, but always on penalties after very close matches. While I like Costa Rica, this group should prove too much for them. I also trust Italy's ability to perform best against good teams. My projectionITALY and URUGUAY.

The easiest group by popular consensus, so the French have scored big this time. Of course, France are themselves a very weak team lately, and I think that no amount of last-minute good luck will change that. Still, given the field, they ought to qualify. Also, I think that Switzerland will surprise. While they're no Belgium, they are slowly rising as a new force of European football. Let me put it this way: for the first time, Switzerland at their best are better than France at their best. My projection: SWITZERLAND and FRANCE.

Argentina got lucky again, but they've been lucky the last few times around and haven't been able to deliver when it really mattered. Still, that rarely happened in the group stage, so I think they will cruise. Bosnia and Nigeria will contend the second spot, and frankly I think that much will depend on the Bosnians. They are a young team with extremely promising talents, and if they're in the mood they can do great. As it stands, I trust experienced Nigeria more. Iran are glad to be here. My projection: ARGENTINA and NIGERIA.

The third Group of Death, and in my view this is the real killer. Unlike in B and D, here there are no "cushion" teams and all four have a genuine shot. Surely the USA look weakest on paper, but I would not discount Klinsmann and an overall experienced team. Conversely, Ghana do not look as good as in the past, and for that matter neither does Portugal Ronaldo, I mean (they have no team). With the exception perhaps of Germany, who as usual have the skill to go all the way, this one is up for grabs. My projection: GERMANY and PORTUGAL.

Belgium got lucky, and I am glad, because they deserve to be in the knockout rounds (and we deserve to see them play at high level). I think they are not a fluke and will deliver when it matters. Russia are the obvious candidate for the second spot, but watch out for the ever-resourceful Koreans, who while not as brilliant as one might have predicted 12 years ago, they are still dangerous. My projection: BELGIUM and RUSSIA.


-------
Possible brackets coming up next...
-------

ROUND OF 16

BRAZIL  Chile
Colombia – URUGUAY
Switzerland – NIGERIA
GERMANY – Russia
SPAIN – Cameroon
ITALY – Ivory Coast
ARGENTINA – France
BELGIUM – Portugal
QUARTERFINALS

BRAZIL – Uruguay
Nigeria  GERMANY
SPAIN  Italy
ARGENTINA  Belgium

SEMIFINALS

BRAZIL – Germany
Spain – ARGENTINA
FINAL

BRAZIL – Argentina
---
---

No comments:

Post a Comment