Sunday, June 16, 2013

I tried to watch hockey...

I promise, I really tried! Usually, when you're not so much into a sports, watching its most important event is one safe way to get into it; and since hockey is pretty much the only major sport that's missing from this blog, I tried to watch the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals. With all the overtime drama, which some friends who are hockey fans have described as "amazing" and "milestone," you'd think I'd get excited...

...but it was just. so. boring!

I can't see the puck. I swear to god I can't see the puck. No, it's not that my TV's refresh rate is too slow. Yes, everything's okay with my eyesight. I simply can't see it for like 90% of the time, which is whenever it's on the stick or curling across the ice at high speed. The worst is when they shoot: I have to interpret the body language of the players to see if it went in (since you literally cannot see it once it's in the net), and if it didn't, I have to spend the next few seconds trying to figure out where it is and what's happening.

It feels like watching ping pong without a ball, or as if race drivers had no cars and just squatted on the track and said "vroom vroom!" to each other really loudly for two hours.

I'm sure that, as with all sports, all it takes is a little practice, and that eventually you'll get to enjoy it. I mean, hockey has millions of fans -- they can't all be stupid and they can't all be experiencing the same kind of utter frustration that I feel. Maybe it's just that it doesn't lend itself to television and it is one of those "have to be there" things, and if so then that's the reason that it's by far the least-televised of all major American leagues.

But damn. I don't want to waste my time anymore. So yeah, can't say I didn't try. Fuck hockey. Back to the Confederations Cup because (guess what!) you can see the football!

No comments:

Post a Comment